All overpayments must be repaid to the Division of Employment Security. To avoid collections, you must repay your overpayment balance in full. If you cannot repay the balance in full, you may enter into a payment agreement with DES. If you have an outstanding overpayment balance, you will receive a monthly statement that shows your current overpayment balance and your minimum monthly payment.

Payments may be made by:

  • Credit Card
  • Debit Card
  • Check
  • Money Order

Credit and debit card payments may be made online. Payments by check or money order must be made payable to N.C. Division of Employment Security. Please include your name and claimant identification number, and mail checks or money orders to:

N.C. Division of Employment Security

Benefits Payment Control Unit

Post Office Box 25903

Raleigh, NC 27611-5903


If you are receiving benefits and you have an overpayment balance, your benefits will be reduced by 50% for non-fraud overpayments and 100% for fraud overpayments. The amounts reduced will be applied to your overpayment balance.

DES may collect amounts overpaid to you by:

  • Garnishing your federal tax refund.
  • Garnishing your state tax refund
  • Garnishing your lottery winnings.
  • Pursuing criminal prosecution and/or civil court action.

Entering into a payment agreement and making your payments on time will prevent collections through garnishment and prosecution. You may request to enter into a payment agreement online. If you have questions about overpayments, please use our Overpayment Question Form.

Repayment of non-fraud overpayments may be waived for good cause. Waiver requests should be filed after the appeal rights expire on the determination of overpayment. If an appeal was filed, your waiver request should be made after the decision becomes final. Waiver requests may be filed online or by fax to 919-857-1296. Recovery of fraud overpayments cannot be waived. Learn more about waivers on our Overpayment FAQs page.