How to Create Your Online Account Tip Sheet (download)
Online Account Help
Create an Online Account at des.nc.gov to:
- File a claim for unemployment
- Complete your Weekly Certifications
- Check your Claim Status
To help prevent fraud and protect claimant and employer information, DES is increasing security measures for accessing its online benefits system.
ID.me: DES is partnering with ID.me to provide a secure identity verification process for unemployment claimants. Claimants will be asked to verify their identity through ID.me in order to access their unemployment claim. For your convenience, the ID.me identity verification service is available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Multi-Factor Authentication: When signing into their DES account, individuals may be asked to verify their identity using Multi-Factor Authentication. DES will send a one-time passcode to the email address on file for the account. The user must enter the one-time passcode and their password to access their account.
Need help with your Online Account?
Steps to Create an Online Account
IMPORTANT: USE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
1. Click on ‘Create an Online Account’ on the DES homepage, des.nc.gov.
2. Enter your Social Security Number twice.
3. Select ‘Next.’ On the ‘User Account Creation’ page:
- Create a User Name (Remember: you will need this to sign in. Click on the ? for user name requirements).
- Enter a valid email address twice.
- Enter your contact phone number.
- Create a Password (Must be at least 8 characters and include an uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number 1-9 and special character).
4. Select ‘Create Account.’
5. You’ll receive an email to activate your account. Click the link to activate.
6. You can now Sign In at des.nc.gov. Use the User Name and Password you entered when creating your Online Account in Step 3.
I am trying to set up an Online Account, but it tells me I already have one.
- Do you remember your User Name?
- Yes – Enter the User Name in the Sign In page and click ‘I Forgot my Password/Reset Password’ link. Check your email for a link to reset your password.
- No – Click ‘I forgot my User Name’ link and enter your email address. Check your email for your User Name.
My browser shows that the system is down from 11:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m., but it's currently outside of those hours. How do I access my account?
If you are seeing this message outside of the hours listed on this message, please try clearing your browser’s history, cookies and cache and try again.
If you do not know how to clear your browser’s history, cookies and cache, answers can be found following the links to the most frequently used browsers.
Google Chrome - https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
Internet Explorer - https://neosmart.net/wiki/clear-internet-explorer-cache/
Apple Safari (Mac) - https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri…
Apple Safari (iPhone) - https://osxdaily.com/2020/03/17/how-clear-cache-iphone-ipad-safari/
Android - https://www.androidcentral.com/how-and-when-clear-app-cache-or-data-and…