You can apply for benefits online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need help, contact our Customer Call Center at 888-737-0259.
Create an Online Account to:
- Apply for unemployment benefits.
- Complete your weekly certifications.
- Check your claim status.
Individual Online Account Help
Protecting Your Information
To help prevent fraud and protect claimant and employer information, DES is increasing security measures for accessing its online benefits system.
- ID.me: DES is partnering with ID.me to provide a secure identity verification process for unemployment claimants. Claimants may receive an email from DES notifying them that they must verify their identity through ID.me to access their account and be eligible for benefits. Claimants should click on the link in the email to start the verification process, which can be completed online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: When signing into their DES account, individuals may be asked to verify their identity using Multi-Factor Authentication. DES will send a one-time passcode to the email address on file for the account. The user must enter the one-time passcode and their password to access their account.
Steps to Create an Online Account
IMPORTANT: USE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
- Click on ‘Create an Online Account’ on the DES homepage, des.nc.gov.
- Enter your Social Security Number twice.
- Select ‘Next.’ On the ‘User Account Creation’ page. (Create a User Name and remember it; then enter a valid email address twice. Enter your contact phone number and create a Password).
- Select ‘Create Account.’
- You can now Sign In at des.nc.gov. Use the User Name and Password you entered when creating your Online Account in Step 3.
After you apply:
- Watch for mail or email notifications from DES. After your application is reviewed, we will let you know your benefit amount and eligibility details.
- Check the status of your claim anytime on the Dashboard of your online account.
- Learn about your Weekly Requirements to receive benefits.