Unemployment insurance information is confidential but may be disclosed under certain circumstances. The Division of Employment Security can only disclose unemployment insurance information when the requirements of N.C. Gen. Stat. § 96-4(x), Title 4, Subchapter 24A, Sections .0200 and .0400 of the North Carolina Administrative Code, and 20 C.F.R. Part 603 are met.
Subject to N.C. Gen. Stat. § 96-4(x), and only in certain situations, DES may disclose information including names; addresses; Social Security numbers; federal and state employer identification numbers; wage history; whether an individual applied for unemployment benefits; whether an individual received or is receiving benefits; quarterly wage/tax reports; payment and amount of benefits; and other information permitted under the Employment Security Law.
All requests for release of information must be in writing and contain:
- The subject matter of the record;
- The date or approximate date that the record was made;
- The person or office that made the record;
- The complete name of the person making the request;
- The complete address of the person making the request;
- The last four digits of the Social Security number, claimant identification number or account number for the records requested (complete SSN is required for W6 requests);
- The date of birth;
- A clear explanation of why you want the information and how you intend to use it; and
- Written instructions and a fax number if DES’s response or information is to be sent by fax (otherwise response will be mailed to the requesting person’s address).
NOTE: DES will not send information or documents to a third party unless the request complies with the law. DES will not send responses to requests for W6s by fax or email, and DES will not provide responses, information or documents by email.
You can request information by sending a letter with the required information, or you can fill out and send the Request for Release of Information Form. Send your request by mail, fax or email.
Legal Services Section
Division of Employment Security
P.O. Box 25903
Raleigh, NC 27611-5903
Some requests for information require a subpoena. If you send a subpoena to get information, you must send the subpoena to DES’s chief counsel at the Legal Services Section’s address above.